Sunday, October 21, 2012

Hidden Treasure

toddlers housecleaning mess
theartreference.blogspot.com

  
Claire has turned our home into a scavenger hunt of sorts. An Easter Egg Hunt without the eggs, if you will.

When I find a random ball or blocks under a chair or table, it’s barely worth a yawn. I’m much more surprised when I open the door to the hall closet and happen upon a piece of apple. Or when I’m booby trapped by a trail of Cheerios crunch, crunching under foot, as I walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I’m most intrigued when it seems that Claire has specifically placed things in certain spots…The half of a cracker that’s perfectly wedged in the small round hole of a toy… The square piece of cheese that has come to rest exactly in the middle of the metal coaster on the side table…The sippy cup straws and primary colored crayons that seem made to go together in a cup on her easel.

I have weighed the idea of keeping her in the highchair to eat. But then I would be more concerned about how I look as a housekeeper than Claire. Really, she’s a toddler. I’m  happy to get food in her, even if it means she’s on the run and food ends up elsewhere.

Plus, I remember reading the truism that the creativity of youth is rarely tidy. Her various hidings are evidence of how she engages with and transforms her environment. Her serendipitous, little presents are like interior decorating, toddler style.

On the other hand, I am less happy to find a piece of food that’s been hanging around for awhile -- like a desiccated old man calling out for cockroaches and/or mice. Likewise, my patience wears thin when she’s hidden my keys.

I draw the line at hiding keys. Unfortunately, like most toddlers, she remains completely undeterred by this line in the sand!

24 comments:

  1. I am a new fan of your blog! Love reading your great posts! This one reminded me of my son when he was a tot, and with other objects he liked to experiment with, like sponge the cat, or wipe the poo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the stories from other homes! We are NOT alone!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up with Super Sunday Sync! We hope you found some great bloggy friends!
    ~dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the same little treasures around our home, just now I found a neat stack of four pegs against the wall just outside the laundry door. They were 'rescued' pegs, apparently. It certainly makes life interesting :)
    Visiting from the Sunday Parenting Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm picturing you happening upon those pegs! Priceless!

      Delete
  4. She is so cute! That said, I allow my toddler (practically a preschooler now) to get up during mealtimes, but he has to leave his food at the table. Exceptions include apples, but I keep a close eye on where they end up!
    For a while my daughters kept a small "pretzel friend" on their bedside tables. This confused me, but since they weren't to be eaten, I allowed it!
    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pretzel friend"! Very ingenuous transitional object. Kids are too darn smart!

      Delete
  5. Hiding keys?! As if life isn't complicated enough!

    Thanks for linking up this week :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Cusiosity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, thanks for sharing!
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate, I'm forever finding leftovers in all sorts of places. I found the missing 'E' block that had been missing for a year under the change table. My keys went missing last week, they were in a cup in the cupboard. Of course Izzy blamed it on her little sister. Thanks for linking at Open Slather, it's good to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I am new follower from Friday's Letters.

    I love the your title and your point of view, so I have nominated you for a Liebster Award.

    For more information on the Liebster you can check out my post at http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    I look forward to reading more posts!

    Holly

    http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to laugh at most of this post but cringed in flashback at the keys ... as a toddler, I managed to fish my Mom's out of her purse and sat down in front of an electrical outlet to plug the holes with them. I was thrown across the room, blew out the electricity, scorched my hands and the knees of my onesie and fused the keys to the floor. If she's playing with keys, make sure you have caps in all your outlets before she realizes the keys would be a perfect fit!! Popping in via the #TALU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for the advice! I would NOT have thought of it! Glad you are alive to share the story...

      Delete
    2. ME TOO! My sister, on the other hand, was screaming at the time - not because a baby just flew across the room, but because she was watching Bozo on TV and the electricity shorted out. I still give her heck for that now and again. ;)

      Delete
  10. hi, i'm following the GFC blog hop. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks,
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I really don't cope well with food being tracked around the house! I always make my kids sit because of it!
    It is amazing where their little imaginations will lead them though isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there, found your blog linked up to the Empowered Mama blog hop. I am all too familiar with the little ones hiding things! Right now there is a little nightlight light bulb missing in our house some where that my 23 month old has hidden. I know, how would he get such a thing in the first place makes me lose my mother of the year award. He unplugged it from the socket (which I should have removed in the morning) and while I was in the bathroom, he was left to himself to pull the thing apart and the lightbulb isn't to be found any where!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things go the way of socks in the dryer, wherever that may be...

      Delete
  13. Hola! Claire seems quite the character, she is adorable. All those mishaps will be treasures one day! Newest GFC friend #55 stopping by to say thanks for linking up with Soul Food Monday! An Inspirational Link-Up! Hope you keep coming back for more of...To Inspire and be Inspired!

    ~SimplyyMayra :)
    www.simplyymayra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that they will be treasures! Thanks for pointing that out!

      Delete
  14. hahahaha, oh my goodness I felt like I was reading my current life story. 'Bug' is doing the same thing. A puzzle piece here and there with the random toy in the most obscure places. I really enjoy your posts as Clair and my little boy are around the same age. Thank you for linking up to the Empowered Living hop, stay tuned I will be making a few changes this coming week. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...