Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Because I said so

did
momsinmarketing.com
  
We begin with the best intentions as mothers. Only to find ourselves, then, doing things we swore we’d never do.

I also lament the things that I don’t do…

“Oh, today looks like a lovely day to take Claire to the park…Ah, we’ll go tomorrow.”

Or…“My daughter looks like she can go another day without a bath."

It’s hard to admit. Makes me feel like a horrible mother.

Equally cringe-worthy are the things that I thought I wouldn’t say. I find things flying out of my mouth that a) are just plain ridiculous, b) make me realize I’m becoming my mother, and/or c) are probably over my 16-month-old daughter's head right now.

Indeed, she’s ignoring me anyway. But I often wonder what she would say if she had the words (my homage to ‘honest toddler’ on twitter, @honesttoddler):

ME:                                                            CLAIRE:

Why did you just do that?                         Because

Where does this go?                                  I’m guessing…on the floor?

That doesn’t go in that hole.                     Why? It fits.

Stop whining.                                            Don't count on that happening.

You’re too loud.                                         I don’t know the opposite of loud

Eat your food.                                            Maybe

Try it; you’ll like it.                                   If I don’t try it, we’ll never know.          
You're giving me a headache.                    And your point is?                                                                      
Calm down!                                                Why?

We don’t hit!                                               I just did.

I’m only going to say this once.                 That’s good.

You’re not listening to me.                         What’s your point?

What do you want?                                     If I knew, I’d tell you.

That’s not a toy.                                          And your point is?

I’ve just read over the list. It’s long! I’m embarrassed. And I’m glad I don’t live with an honest toddler.

26 comments:

  1. haha too funny! i love those tweets.

    following your blog today via the blog hop!
    looking forward to future posts!
    newest follower,
    morgan
    http://quitetheblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome and so true! Funny how kids bring out the crazy/lazy inside :) New follower from the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, crazy/lazy. I'm missing the sleeping zzz's, so I make up for them elsewhere!

      Delete
  3. These are great! My son's favorite answer to "why did you just do that?" is always "Because". When I ask "because why?", he tells me, "because I did!"

    Gotta love those toddler brains!

    Holly
    http://notdonegrowing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. I definitely have (lack of) park guilt. Also, I never thought I'd be the mom who gave her kid puffs just to shut him up, but here I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought I would be the parent who gives their child a box of tiny teddies at the start of a shopping trip and doesn't let her open them unless she behaves to the checkout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used look down at those parents who shoved lollies in their kids faces to get them to behave. Guess what a said to my 3 year old this morning? " If you get dressed without making a fuss I will give you a lolly".
    There is no integrity or honor in motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. following from the blog hope
    love the tweets, such a cute blog, looking forward to reading more
    http://ramblingmomma03.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is funny and so true! It is funny how much I've bent on the things I said I'd never do. Eh skipping baths once in a while is good for their immune system. Probably. I hope... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I love that Honest Toddler twitter! It's hilarious!!
    Dropping by from the blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha so funny! :)

    Found you in the blog hop. I'm a new follower!

    I hope you can join the wishlist linkup in my blog! :)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, oh yes, how accurate are those quotes! It doesn't take long for babies to turn into toddlers with attitude, does it ?
    Thanks for linking up with FYBF. Please don't forget to add the FYBF button to your post. when linking up.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny! I feel the same way myself most days :)

    Thanks for sharing with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are hysterical and I can relate...I bet all parents can, whether we admit it or not, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for liking up with Super Sunday Sync!
    Glad you stopped by,
    Hope to see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm frustrated just reading that! Lol. Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a very good feeling that my twins may turn out to be honest toddlers. They are very smart and like to "debate" with us already! I found you on Lovin' the Numbers blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is hilarious! The stuff toddlers say is comic relief for parents. Guess that is the only way parents make it through those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you know the saying...If you don't laugh, you'll cry.

      Delete
  18. Just FYI. I'm a new subscriber to your RSS feed (found you from One Mother Hen) and thought you might not know that your posts appear all jumbled in Google Reader.

    xx
    Danya
    (www.danyabanya.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...